1. Turn off the water supply. The valve might be a little stuck if you haven’t touched it in a while.
2. Flush your toilet repeatedly until empty.
3. Remove excess water from the bowl and tank. You can do this with a wet/dry vacuum or with whatever towels or buckets you have on hand.
4. Disconnect the water supply line from the base.
5. Remove the bolts on the base.
6. Rock toilet to loosen and remove. Set toilet to the side.
7. Scrape off existing wax with a putty knife or similar tool.
8. Check package for instructions and apply new wax ring.
9. Replace toilet. It helps to sit on the lid and shift around to seal every area.
10. Screw in the bolts, reattach the water lines and turn on the water.
11. Enjoy your porcelain throne! Make sure to test for leaks.
If this sounds like a lot of steps, you should always feel safe to hesitate! You don’t want to end up without a functioning toilet if you get lost in the steps.
If you need a plumber to help you with a wax ring replacement, you can always call the professionals at J. Blanton for assistance. Reach us at (773) 724-9272.